MSc Molecular Biology, University of Skövde, Sweden 2009
The main focus of Gull Rukh’s PhD studies is to use epidemiological methods to follow-up on established obesity-susceptibility loci with the aim to elucidate the pathways through which these loci increase risk of cardio-metabolic disease. Furthermore, her work also assesses the public health implications of the established obesity-associated loci by examining their interaction with lifestyle factors such as different dietary behaviours.
Apart from this, Gull is currently exploring how the genetic susceptibility to obesity affects the changes in body weight and trying to figure out whether the related genetic effects remain consistent throughout the whole life course or they are age-dependant.
1. Stojkovic IA, Ericson U, Rukh G, Riddestråle M, Romeo S, Orho-Melander M. The PNPLA3 Ile148Met interacts with overweight and dietary intakes on fasting triglyceride levels. Genes Nutr. 2014 Mar;9(2):388. doi: 10.1007/s12263-014-0388-4. Epub 2014 Feb 22.
2. Ahmad S, Rukh G, Varga TV, Ali A, Kurbasic A, Shungin D, Ericson U,…. Orho-Melander M, Franks PW. Gene × physical activity interactions in obesity: combined analysis of 111,421 individuals of European ancestry. PLoS Genet. 2013;9(7):e1003607. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1003607. Epub 2013 Jul 25.
3. Rukh G, Sonestedt E, Melander O, Hedblad B, Wirfält E, Ericson U, Orho-Melander M. Genetic susceptibility to obesity and diet intakes: association and interaction analyses in the Malmö Diet and Cancer Study. Genes Nutr. 2013 Nov;8(6):535-47. doi: 10.1007/s12263-013-0352-8. Epub 2013 Jul 17.
4. Ericson U, Rukh G, Stojkovic I, Sonestedt E, Gullberg B, Wirfält E, Wallström P, Orho-Melander M. Sex-specific interactions between the IRS1 polymorphism and intakes of carbohydrates and fat on incident type 2 diabetes. Am J Clin Nutr. 2013 Jan;97(1):208-16. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.112.046474. Epub 2012 Dec 5.
5. Hertel JK, Johansson S, Sonestedt E, Jonsson A, Lie RT, Platou CG, Nilsson PM, Rukh G, Midthjell K, Hveem K, Melander O, Groop L, Lyssenko V, Molven A, Orho-Melander M, Njølstad PR. FTO, type 2 diabetes, and weight gain throughout adult life: a meta-analysis of 41,504 subjects from the Scandinavian HUNT, MDC, and MPP studies. Diabetes. 2011 May;60(5):1637-44. doi: 10.2337/db10-1340. Epub 2011 Mar 11.
Last updated: September 11, 2014
Website contact: LUDC webteam